The Church building was originally built in 1915 to serve the Anglican Christian community, and was named St. Barnabas. The building was then further expanded into its existent format in 1932, by architect Ernest Shearman. Now the Church serves the Coptic Orthodox community, and provides a place for the congregation to come together in one communion and fellowship.
Being the only Coptic Orthodox Church located in North West London, St. Mary & Archangel Michael Church has been standing strong, since it was opened by His Holiness the late Pope Shenouda III in September 1996. Since then, it was under the Papal diocese until November 2017, where it became a member of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of London under HG Bishop Angaelos.
The first Priest ordained by His Holiness to minister to the Church, was the late Fr. Mikhail Ibrahim Salama, who was later joined by Fr. Looka Kamel in October 2005. Chosen by the congregation, Fr. Mina Barsoum was then ordained to join Fr. Looka Kamel in ministering to the Church in 2010, and together they have brought the Church through challenging milestones and great successes.
The Church is not simply a platform for just spiritual growth, it is a place where the entire congregation can be proud to call each other family, and ultimately have a sense of oneness and love for life. The Church does this by offering many services and holding numerous events throughout the year to involve everyone from all ages. From meetings, to trips, to sports, to tutoring classes, the Church does so much and encourages not just the congregation, but also the wider community to get involved. Click here for more details of our services.